Every now and then, I have one of those days at my job that is just overloaded with moments when really feel like I'm making a difference in these kids' lives. Today was one of them.
These three are sweet friends to each other. I've known them all since they were babies, and it's so cute to see their little personalities blossom and their friendships continue to grow as their lives change and they grow up.
We read 4 books about the sense of smell today, one of them being a scratch and sniff teddy bear tea party/picnic. The girls had a picnic party of their own and I was served a donut, chicken drumstick, a tomato, a croissant, and a goblet of lemonade.
We wrote letter V in scented play dough and with chalk and markers, drew a diagram of the nose and learned about parts of the respiratory system and also how our body recognizes smells. The kids labeled lungs, nose, nasal cavity, nostrils, brain, and the microscopic hairs inside the nasal cavity. They shared scented things brought from home in circle time (cinnamon, a scented baby doll, a strawberry shortcake doll, black licorice, gummy worms, soap, perfume, and a stinky shoe!), and put together puzzles about the body and the 5 senses.


I also did a scripted reading lesson with the kids and they loved it. I think I might add it to the curriculum for awhile and see how it goes. I usually stick to literature and phonics based curriculum in my classroom, but there's something special about this group of kids so I gave it a shot. They loved it! It was fun to do a distar lesson with a group. I love teaching and these kids are my golden age for educating for sure. Reagan went home and told her mom all about the tiny hairs inside her "nostrich" that help her smell. How cute is that?
I made scented watercolors from koolaid and the children painted a crop of fruity scented pictures.
A few of us used our lungs to blow up a balloon during open centers. I asked the children to tell me things that smell good to them and things that smell bad to them and recorded their answers. It was a wonderful day of learning.


1 comment:
And you do a wonderful job! No wonder Lily loves to learn.
Lils was also amazed that we have hairs in our noses. She had to ask each family member that night if we've every seen our nose hairs. :)
Post a Comment