Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Weekend Update

Friday was a house-full-of-kids kind of day. I watched my friend's daughters, had a preschool make up day, and brought home a play date from school with Corbin. I think there were 14 kids in and out of here throughout the day. 

Preschool was about birds. It was warm out so the kids and I ventured outside and they took turns petting Nugget, who was kind enough to be loved on by 16 little hands. We made birdseed cakes, bird watching binoculars, played with a huge bin of feathers, learned about the parts of a bird, collected eggs from the chicken coop, played a couple gross motor and cognitive games with plastic eggs, did 2 bird puzzles, played with a dozen different bird puppets, examined a couple of abandoned bird's nests with magnifying glasses, listned to 3 different bird calls that Mrs Meg has, and went on a bird identification mission. We sang baby chuckle and 2 other bird songs and ate gummy worms and other bird snacks. 






I love that I get to share these new experiences with my students. What a fun job. Preschool parents: new posts on the private bloggy coming up this week.

Quincy randomly threw up Friday afternoon (not awesome.) and felt fine before and after, but Saturday was pretty mellow and we kept the kids all stayed at home to play it safe. I attended a baptism and did some housework and projects in the morning.  The children played the Wii, made a zillion rainbow loom bracelets, did chores (like sanitizing the puked in bathroom), and were tucked into bed by our awesome sitter while Aaron and I went on a little dinner date and drive to check out the buckyball at CB. (very cool btw…will be here a few more months, so be sure to see it).

While the kids played around and Aaron ran some errands on Saturday, I knocked out a bunch of little things that have been looming on the to-do list for months, like hanging a few of the mirrors and pictures here and there, unpacking 2 boxes in the guest room, vacuuming (don't ask how long it's been, it's embarrassing), and fixing the bathroom tile that broke the day we moved in.  

I'm glad we had a productive Saturday because it made for a stress free Sunday…well, aside from worrying about Soren's little leg. 
BTW, I just talked to the nurse and our pediatrician will likely order an X-ray tomorrow morning. He is standing and even climbing more and more today, but again, no weight or pressure at all on that lower left leg or left foot. :( 

No school today. Woohoo!  Of course it goes without saying that the makeup days in June will be the most awful of all kinds of awful. But since we cannot control the weather, I'm quite happy to have my children home all day today.  A funny friend of mine sent me this emoji text this morning. 
My reply (in blue) was probably a little obnoxious, but I really can relate to how she feels, considering I used to crawl under a rock and cry/hibernate every winter before this year.  Hopefully it gave her a few survival ideas. I've experienced too much loss to not appreciate the company of these babies. I've had a change of heart regarding winter. Kids home and canceled everything = awesome and trump the grossness of being cold. One secret I've learned to keeping kids from going crazy is to prepare. Katie G and Kasey are good examples to me and taught me to plan ahead and make sure we have some fun activities, crafts, food, chores, etc on standby to help make the most of the potential days at home.  I can see that it makes a big difference to the kids to know their mom is happy to have them around, and I think everyone is happier knowing I took into consideration what things help them not go crazy, and prepared for that. 

We're making artisan loaves with everything topping to go with dinner tonight, and chocolate dipped strawberries to enjoy after FHE, and if we get the call that school is canceled again tomorrow (snow day #10!) then we'll let the kids have a late night sleepover in their sleeping bags in the loft tonight.  



2 comments:

Clandestine Road said...

I want a snow day so badly. We finally got a sneeze of snow but it is melting now. That looks like the perfect day, giant awesome hair and all.

Clandestine Road said...

Oops. Meant to leave the above comment on the above post. This also looks fun. :) I wish my kids could go to your preschool.