Pages

Monday, September 21, 2026

It’s good to be Meg Willardson

I’m with Corbin chaperoning the Chamber Orchestra college tour. Today we are at University of Oklahoma in Norman, Ok. I just glanced up at the kids during their  master class and locked eyes with Corbin. He nodded and tuned back in, but oh my mother heart! All I saw in that moment—only a few seconds probably—were 5 year old Corbin’s big brown eyes looking back at me. It was on this day 15 years ago when 16 month old Corbin finally stood up and bravely took his first steps unassisted. He is approaching full independence in nearly every aspect of his life.  I’m sitting here feeling really very to be here and enjoy a little time with this special son who I’ve been so lucky to mother.   




 Our friends, the Geddes Family, are moving to Utah. My kids are going to miss their friends, especially Bear, who loved playing with Hans and Beau. We said goodbye with a backyard glow dance party.  

It is no secret that I’m a little tired of driving the giant van. There are hours during the day when it’s just me now. The van feels superfluous with only 5 kids at home. Aaron had the kids wash it for me today. The interior is still a war zone of kid-abandoned garbage. There are bits of paper shrapnel and the musty air is fermented with the decaying orts of meals devoured on the go. But now, at least the outside sparkles. Thanks fam! 


We went to the fitness center as a family today to play volleyball and basketball. I rented a badminton court and showed the kids some skills. Sloane picked it up very quickly and is pretty good! Will def play again. I lettered in badminton singles and mixed doubles (shoutout to Sheena wherever you are) in high school. It was fun to show the kids a new sport and even more fun to play again. 














Corbin asked a cute friend, Gabriella, from Rogers to BHS HOCO last week!

 I’m slowly working my way through the Childrens closets with them for our biannual “this doesn’t fit” wardrobe purge. The little girls both had growth spurts and sized up in pants after nearly two years in the same size. Some lucky parent is about to hit the mother load of clothing drops at the thrift!
Soren and Sloane went with Titus and Flora to the retro arcade last weekend


My fave band is on tour. We caught Two Door Cinema Club  at Cains Ballroom in 2024 with Aaron, Brendan, and Fake Band. It was the first concert for Shef and Henson and we were right under the stage in the pit. It won’t be the same without Quincy. Nothing is the same without Quincy. I miss my concert buddy. 

Aaron and I haven’t purchased tickets to any of the shows yet but would love to figure out/justify a time to get away just the two of us. I think a weekend away together sounds glorious. (And darn near impossible with the dynamic of our kids and rides to all their things) 


Soren, Sloane, and Esme all sized up in instruments this month. Luckily, we have an extra full size cello for Soren that Corbin used 8th -10th grade. Not renting Soren’s cello was almost an even cost trade to rent a new “Henson” and “Maren” for the girls to play. I took no instrument photos,  but our luthier, Ray, has rescued two litters of kittens and they’re at the shop. Cats are gross, but these teeny kitties are cute. Nope, not cute enough to bring home a kitten. 


Soren raced in the Sugar Creek Showdown last night. He took 6th place for WJHS and ran 2 miles (in extreme heat) in 12:40. He has room to import e before high school, but 6:20 miles are pretty impressive! What I would give to run that fast! He did it with ease and felt amazing post race. We’ve been to this event so many times over the years. I can’t express how much I love that one of those runners is my son. Way to go Soren! And thank you Kasey and Corbin for showing up with Aaron and I to cheer for him! 



No comments: