I chaperoned Corbin’s Orchestra trip to Oklahoma University in the Sooner state Sunday-Tuesday.
The students enjoyed a campus tour, a masterclass, sectionals with the university music department, and a side-by-side rehearsal and sight reading workshop. They also went to the Oklahoma state fair, and a dave and busters type entertainment park. I also got to take a side quest as chaperone in a semi-sketch uber situation to take a student to retrieve her forgotten wallet. I taught a bunch of students to play mahjong. Another night, I was the assigned supervision for a dozen cellists in the hotel gym. I brought my clippers and gave 6 of them haircuts in the corner. I got to room with Shino Welsch and it was so fun to get to know her a little better.
I also have loved being here with Corbin. He mostly does his own thing, but occasionally (like when I open the giant bag of sour starbursts) comes around for a little visit or hug.
Something I love observing is how inclusive Corbin is. He makes sure no one is left out, that everyone’s needs are met, and that the bus driver and the campus tour guide and the chick fil a lady are thanked. He ran and got hair products to teach one kid how to style his hair after I gave him a fresh look. There are two sophomores with 10 cellist who are primarily seniors on this trip and Corbin has made sure they are always included in the boy group, and partners up with one of them any time there’s an odd man out. He’s having a great trip and said this one has been a favorite..which is a surprise to me, since he is missing Ammon and Hyrum and Neal this year, and Rich didn’t come on the trip.
He’s a resilient soul and really good at being a friend. He texted me this photo from the back of the bus, where they have a fort built with their pillows, etc. What a fun guy.






















No comments:
Post a Comment